A bed frame is an essential piece of furniture that provides a comfortable sleeping space and adds to your room’s aesthetic value. With numerous types of bed frames available in the market, it can be challenging to decide which one to choose.
That is why we provide a comprehensive guide on the different types of bed frames available in Malaysia, their features, and how to choose the one that best fits your needs and preferences.
Whether you are looking for a minimalist design or a more elaborate one, this article will help you decide when purchasing your next bed frame. So, let’s dive in and explore the world of bed frames in Malaysia!
Types of Bed Frames
1. Metal Bed Frame
Metal bed frames offer a sturdy, robust, and secure foundation for any bed type. These bed frames provide the durability necessary to handle heavier weights than other materials built from aluminium, iron, brass, or steel.
They come in various designs to accommodate any taste – be it with an elegant headboard, a classic design, or something more modern.
- Less prone to damage and affordable.
- Metal bed frames can be uncomfortable as well, and if the design and material choices are flimsy, they may not properly support the mattress.
- They rust readily when exposed to humidity.
2. Upholstered Bed Frame
An upholstered bed frame is a luxurious addition to any bedroom. The sleek design of its sideboards and headboards, wrapped in leather and velvet fabrics, gives the room a touch of elegance.
Not only do these frames look beautiful, but they are also comfortable due to the soft material and supportive padding provided for both you and your mattress. Make sure to take the time to select an upholstered frame that adds your style and personality to your room.
- They come in a variety of designs and are frequently embellished with embroidery or buttons.
- They provide cushioning due to the padding and materials.
- High-maintenance and need constant vacuuming and cleaning.
- Highly susceptible to damages like grease spots, tears, and dents.
3. Platform Bed Frame
Investing in a platform bed frame is an investment you won’t regret. The base has a built-in spring box design, with flexible wooden slats to provide comfortable mattress support.
Tiny legs slightly elevate the platform from the ground so that you can enjoy a surface perfect for any bedroom aesthetic.
- It will give a sleek touch to the room.
- Platform provides a solid base for the mattress, you don’t need to buy or use a box spring with a platform bed frame.
- The solid surface of a platform bed frame can provide a firmer, more supportive feel than a traditional bed frame with a box spring.
- Because the platform bed frame provides a solid base, you may need to purchase a firmer mattress to get the right level of support.
- Platform bed frames can be quite heavy and difficult to move.
- The solid surface of a platform bed frame can restrict airflow to the bottom of the mattress, which can lead to moisture buildup and mould growth.
4. Simple Bed Frame
Simple bed frames offer a timeless and classic look for any bedroom setting. With their minimalistic structure, these frames feature four legs capable of holding the framework and beams with complete stability.
If you want to accessorise your bed, a headboard or footboard can be purchased separately to enhance the frame’s design further. Simple bed frames make it easy to revolutionise your bedroom decor without complex construction pieces; sometimes, basic is best.
- Can be one of the cheapest types of wooden bed frames
- Don’t necessarily occupy extra space and provide average storage space beneath.
- Affordable and can be an easy DIY.
- The materials used determine its durability and sturdiness.
- The higher the quality, the higher the expense.
5. Floating Bed Frame
A floating bed frame may look like a regular bed; however, it is unique since it appears suspended above the ground. Rather than relying on four legs for support, the frame depends on brackets securely mounted along the wall, allowing for full use of your bedroom’s space.
Floating beds add an attractive modern touch to any home interior, enticing guests and family members alike with their sleek design and unique presentation.
- A floating bed frame can help you save space in your bedroom, as it eliminates the need for a box spring and can have built-in storage options.
- With no visible support structure, a floating bed frame can be easy to clean and maintain.
- A floating bed frame can be customised to your desired size and material to match your specific preferences.
- Can be more expensive than a traditional bed frame, especially if you opt for high-end materials.
- A floating bed frame can be difficult to move or adjust once it is installed, as it usually requires disassembling and reassembling.
6. Sleigh Bed Frame
Sleigh bed frames have a timeless style that adds to any bedroom. Their unique framework is inspired by wagons, giving them their name. Originally crafted during the 19th century, this iconic design has since become a classic choice for many homes worldwide.
With its beautiful curves and tailored appearance, it’s no surprise that this versatile frame is a frequent favourite among homeowners with an eye for design aesthetics.
- The curved headboard and footboard provide a comfortable place to lean against while sitting up in bed.
- Come in a variety of styles, materials, and colours, making them suitable for any decor or room size.
- Many sleigh beds are designed to support a mattress without the need for a box spring.
- Sleigh beds tend to be larger and bulkier than other types of beds, which can make them difficult to move or fit in smaller rooms.
- May be difficult to match with other bedroom furniture or decor.
- The curved design of the headboard and footboard can limit the amount of storage space available in the bed frame.
7. Divan Bed Frame
Easily assembled and providing inviting comfort, a divan bed frame is perfect for any bedroom style. Its simplistic design means anyone can put it together without needing professional help, making it cost-effective too.
The base boasts two parts joined with a sturdy bracket and rested on castors, making it effortless to position around. The drawers within the bottom provide ample under-bed storage space, so you don’t have to worry about clutter ruining the aesthetic.
- Sturdy base of a Divan bed frame provides excellent support for the mattress, which can improve sleep quality and reduce back pain.
- Often come with built-in storage options, such as drawers or ottomans. This can be a great way to save space in a smaller room.
- Divan bed frames are typically very durable and can last for many years.
- Because of their size and weight, Divan bed frames can be more difficult to move around than other types of bed frames.
- Can be more difficult to clean than other types of bed frames.
8. Ottoman Bed Frame
An ottoman bed frame offers the perfect combination of comfort and convenience. By lifting your mattress with a gentle push on its frame, you don’t have to worry about messed up covers or pillows, no matter how many people are in bed.
And not just that, you can also keep your mattress lifted in place with ease, giving you both hands-free to sort through the hidden storage compartment below!
- The main advantage of an ottoman bed frame is the additional storage space it provides.
- Allows you to access your stored items with ease. You can lift the bed base up with minimal effort to get what you need.
- Offer the same level of comfort as normal beds, ensuring a good night’s sleep.
- The amount of storage is limited by the size of the bed frame and the lifting mechanism.
- The lifting mechanism of an ottoman bed frame may wear out over time, requiring maintenance or replacement.
- Tend to be more expensive than traditional bed frames due to their extra features.
9. Storage Bed Frame
The storage bed frame is a great solution for those living in smaller spaces that need all the extra storage they can get. This type of bed frame features drawers beneath the mattress, providing much-needed space to store items such as extra sheets, throw blankets, and other bedroom essentials so you can keep your room feeling clutter-free.
- Useful in smaller bedrooms or apartments.
- Allowing you to store extra bedding, clothing, and other items without taking up additional floor space.
- With storage drawers built into the bed frame, you can keep your items organised and easily accessible.
- Can be quite heavy, making them difficult to move or rearrange in the bedroom.
- The storage drawers may become harder to open and close, requiring maintenance or repairs.
10. Bunk Bed Frame
If you have multiple kids sharing a room or frequent sleepovers, a bunk bed frame is the perfect solution to your sleeping needs. It provides plenty of space for two or more people to sleep without taking up much floor space.
It’s great for maximising the usability of a bedroom. The ladder attached to the frame ensures stability and easy access to the top bunk, making it a safe option for young children.
- Bunk beds are an excellent choice for small bedrooms or rooms with multiple occupants.
- Usually less expensive than purchasing two separate beds.
- Ideal for hosting sleepovers or accommodating guests.
- Easy to assemble and disassemble, making them a practical choice for people who frequently move or relocate.
- Bunk bed frames can be dangerous if not used properly. Children can fall from the top bunk or become trapped in the ladder or guardrails.
- Usually has limited headroom, which can be uncomfortable for adults or tall children.
- Climbing to the top bunk can be challenging for some people, especially if the ladder is poorly designed or placed.
11. Murphy Bed Frame
Perfect for tight spaces, Murphy bed frames are an innovative way to maximise home space. These bed frames allow users to enjoy the perks of a larger bedroom without taking up too much room; when folded up against the wall, it looks like any regular wall, and shelves can be used in place of the bed!
It’s a convenient and stylish solution for anyone wanting to make the most of their living space. With something like this, it’s easy to understand why Murphy beds are such a popular option.
- Useful in small apartments or rooms where space is limited.
- They come in a variety of sizes, from twin to king, and can be paired with comfortable mattresses.
- Can be complicated and time-consuming. It often requires professional installation, which can add to the overall cost.
- Typically have weight limitations. This means that they may not be suitable for heavier individuals or couples.
What is the most common bed frame?
The most common bed frame is likely the platform bed frame. Platform bed frames are popular because they provide a stable and sturdy base for the mattress, and they often have a minimalist design that can fit well in many different types of bedrooms.
Additionally, platform bed frames can be made from various materials, including wood, metal, and upholstered materials, allowing for a range of styles and price points.
What are the things to consider when buying a bed frame?
When buying a bed frame, many factors should be taken into account. First of all, bed size is an important consideration so that the mattress and frame fit together perfectly.
Room size can also play a role in the purchase; bigger rooms allow for larger frames, while smaller ones mean scaling down a size. Height and features such as storage, adjustable base options, and other embellishments are further factors to consider before purchasing.
Lastly, budget and aesthetic preferences will guide you in selecting your ideal bed frame. The right bed frame adds style to a room while providing comfort and support!
What type of bed frame is most durable?
When searching for the most durable bed frame, a metal option is typically the best pick for long-term use. Steel frames offer an exceptional combination of strength, stability, and support beyond a standard wooden frame.
The frames also have special anti-rust features to ensure that they last for many years. Furthermore, many also come with extra features like adjustable heads and footrests for comfort or under-bed storage space, which can make them a great value in addition to their durability.
What is the most popular bed frame in Malaysia?
The most popular bed frame in Malaysia is the simple yet sturdy wooden frame. Unlike other cheaply-made frames on the market, its premium pine construction ensures stability and comfort night after night.
Estate-style designs add a touch of sophistication to bedrooms while also standing up to robust use. Whether you’re looking for something luxurious or economical, you will find a wooden frame that works for your lifestyle.
At CUURA Space, you can find a great selection of bed frames perfect for any interior decor – from sleek Scandinavian designs all the way to vintage bed frames made with expert craftsmanship.
Choosing the right bed frame can significantly affect the quality of your sleep and overall comfort. With so many different bed frames available in Malaysia, it’s important to consider factors such as size, material, design, and price range to find the best fit for your needs.
By taking the time to research and evaluate your options, you can invest in a high-quality bed frame that will provide years of restful nights and comfortable sleep.